Friday, August 21, 2009

Earth ethics

I just finished a certification course for Environment Education at the Springs Preserve, and for any of you who haven't been there, I strongly- strongly, encourage it. This place is an absolute haven of sustainability. It's the only LEED platinum certified structure in Nevada, and received one of the highest ratings in the nation.

Even if you hate the environment and avoid earth-friendly settings, I daresay you'll find something that appeals to you. Botanical gardens, anyone? They've got 'em. Desert trails, self-guided historical tours, art galleries, water-smart landscaping displays, and a lot of cool architecture are some of the things you can enjoy for free. If you are willing to pay the $10 entrance fee you have all day access to the wonderful exhibits. They will blow your mind. The sustainability room has all kinds of great displays about green living including a Prius, composting activities, and the inside of a very sustainable house. The ideas are all accessible to each of us- nothing is overwhelming or out of reach (except, in my case, the Prius). It's super awesome. Ori-gen talks about the history of the Las Vegas valley and is surprisingly interactive- aimed for kids, but whatever. There's also a whole bunch of animals, including many threatened species that most of us would never get to see in the wild. I'm telling you, this place is like an amusement park.
If you're looking for something new to try, go to one of the many classes they offer, ranging from Yoga to edible plants. Don't let the entrance fee stop you, but if it does I have a 2-for-1 coupon that I would love to pass along to anyone who is interested.

The website is:
www.springspreserve.org

Let me know if you go, and what you liked about it!

2 comments:

Ron said...

I've been waiting, for years now, for the perfect day to go here. I may quit waiting. My company car is a Prius; highly recommend it.
PS thnx for info on blog stuff.

Carol Swift said...

Ditto what Ron said--Thnx for all this interesting nature stuff.